Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Iron Spring Christian Camp


Okay, everyone else is writing a blog about this and since Iron Springs Christian Camp pretty much formed my Christianity when I was younger, I feel I should too. We recently found out that they are selling the church camp I grew up at and we are all so sad. Iron Springs gave me so many memories, I still keep in touch with my very first camp counselor from the 5th grade and have several lifelong friends who I met at Iron Springs for the first time. The picture on the left is Candice (childhood friend growing up) sister Tammie, Rachel (college roommate), Sara (college roommate), Jana Banana (don't keep up with her but that's what we called her and she was ultra cool because we let her hang out with us), and me. Now besides the fact that we are incredibly cool, most of us started our friendship at Iron Springs and as you can tell, it lasted long into our adult lives. I have another college roomate that I started a friendship with at camp who is not pictured because she was always hanging out with her parents in the director's cabin. :) I had such great experiences there and am sad to see it go. But the good news is, there are other awesome church camps out there and I can only hope that Nora is interested in attending one of them. There's nothing like spending a week among friends and learning about God. That picture by the bridge reminds me of .....
"Have you ever been fishin on a hot summer day, have you ever been fishin out swimmin in the bay. With your hands in your pockets and your pockets in your pants, have you ever seen a fishy do the hoochie coochie dance. You never did, you never will. "
Whatever that means, it was fun at the time. Anyway, just wanted to dedicate a full blog to the great camp with nothing really to do except swimming....(same sex, of course) Iron Springs Christian Camp. Woo hoo!!! By the way, I picked the font color to match my sweet bugs bunny swimming suit. Right on.

16 comments:

MattandSara said...

I just left Joan's site and saw all those pictures. Those are great! Are you sure that is you with me in that one pic? It looks like Tam. Anyway, good times.

tamandscott said...

It's NOT me. I would never wear bugs bunny on my body. I would, however, use a ten inch vertical camera flash. Yes.

Here's another one:

I'd like to teach the world to sing the story of the king, who died for us in willingness (um?) and something something something. He's the real thing!

We should go on American Idol with those diddies.

Unknown said...

But! In the group photo you say it's Angie on the far right in the green striped shirt but there's a photo of the green striped shirt girl lying on the bed in the cabin with a camera. So both of you must have had a camera?

tamandscott said...

Yes, occasionally our parents would let us have our own stuff instead of sharing every freaking thing including a ROOM until we were seniors in highschool (still a little bitter about that). Ang--remember the piles I'd make of your crap on your side of the room? Slob.

angie c said...

Let's clear this up, all the nerdy pictures are definitely Tammie. Anyone who straddles the bed and takes a picture of someone taking a picture of them is a nerd...that means it's Tammie. If you think the bugs bunny bathing suit is dorky then you are dorky. Bugs Bunny ruled and still rules...

mcjacobsjournal said...

Oh, you girls make me laugh! Bugs Bunny was cool, Ang...I'll give you that one. But, it's really funny to think about what was cool then. What were we thinking?! I'm sure our kids will think the same thing some day, but the 80's were really unmatchable for style amongst middle schoolers.

MattandSara said...

I'm sorry but I remember New Kids on the Block being cool, along with Debbie Gibson and Tiffany but I do not recall Bugs Bunny being cool past the age of 4.

angie c said...

Dude, Sara...there's no limit to coolness in the 5th grade. Once you hit 6th grade people are a little more critical of what you like, but in the 5th grade everything's in. You want to roll your jeans up and wear mismatched socks, knock yourself out...it's cool. You're cool.

I do have to go on record as saying that Rachel's outfit is horrendous. Sorry, Rach. I'm still your friend. Totally tubular. Totally 80's...

angie c said...

I have to agree with Sara. Bugs bunny in the 5th grade? I would have totally blown you off back then. There's no way we would have swapped spit in the woods at camp. Did you have Winnie the Pooh pillow cases?

kc

mcjacobsjournal said...

Whatever...

Ang, we probably all thought you were cool because you had a 'character' swimsuit, regardless of who was on it. I do think 4th grade might have made it the Bugs a little bit cooler, but I still think it was probably "in" to all of us. I personally was never into Looney Tunes, but if I had the chance to wear anything with a character on it, I probably would have. (This all went back to the fact that most all of my camp clothes were homemade, so a character on the front meant that it was from a REAL store!)

And, Sara, you WERE a pretty cool dresser, I'll agree with you there. Your little dress in the picture on Joan's blog was VERY cute. No wonder I decided you were cool enough to live with for so long!

MattandSara said...

Thanks Chels. I thought that dress was cool TOO! Should we take fashion critiques from a child who lived the week in her parents cabin or who wore shoulder pads until we went to college!

Amy Woods said...

And I'm LOVIN' Sara's bangs! You go girl!!

MattandSara said...

Amy, Tidal Wave is all I'm going to say.

Amy Woods said...

Sara, But the question is this....do I have pictures floating around the internet of the tidal wave. No...I don't think so. And that is not an invitation to dig some up!!

mcjacobsjournal said...

Dude, Sara! Those blows hurt!! Knocking the pads now too?! I think I'm signing off on this whole camp flashback thing. I'm getting pounded in the whole deal. It's been nice knowing all of you.

just kidding...kind of.

angie c said...

Chelsea,
Here's some love.....you had great hair. You could have permy hair without even trying. You also were very mature for your age, which is the last thing I would say about me. (evidence #1-Bugs Bunny swimsuit)The fact that you could wake up from bed and still have permy hair was cool. You were cool. Don't beat yourself up. :)